Writeful

a weblog for readers and writers

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Other Side of the Ocean

I'm back from the (former) USSR! After a couple weeks of romping in Russia, a new year begins for Writeful!

Like much of the rest of the world, it was unusually warm in central Russia. The first snow in Moscow and Nizhniy Novgorod fell only a few days before our arrival, and while we were there, the fresh coat of snow was replenished only a few times. Where we're used to seeing crisp, clean snow, dirty slush prevailed.

I'll have to put off my follow-up story, "Vodka in the Snow: Russian Winter," for another visit. I think "The Russian Winter that Nearly Wasn't" makes a more fitting title for an account of this adventure.

From the Kremlin in Moscow to the Kremlin in Nizhniy Novgorod, I met with old friends and new, Russian Priests and government officials, went from café to monestary, traveled by plane, train and automobile. Plenty of fodder for future writings -- fiction and non.

Want to visit Nizhniy Novgorod yourself? If you’ve already read my travel story, Vodka in the Sun, then visit the city’s official site below.

http://www.unn.runnet.ru/nn/

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Eric,
it's nice to see you safely jornied over such a vast space and came back ;)
It's a pity we did not met in Nyzhny - but I do not think I had any means. No contact phones in Russia?
Please try to drop me a line to both my adresses, lukoil one and nnov.ru one. I have bad feelings that I just did not get your mail...
On the other hand I set your small letter Dec 20 from my working adress - did you got it?
Ok.
Just before New Year then everybody still at work and nobody actually working, I took time and read "Vodka in the sun". ;) Very entertaining indeed. I spotted 3 factual errors - I can share if you wish;)
Oh. And a great gretings from my Mom. We spent some time on New Year Eve listening to my translaion of Goodman Family Newsletter. ;)

January 11, 2007  
Blogger Eric D. Goodman said...

Hi Anatoly,

Actually, I just sent you an email yesterday -- did you get it? I have several addresses for you and probably sent it to the wrong one. When I get commetns through Writeful, I can't tell which address you're sending from. Send me an email and I'll forward the one I sent yesterday to the proper address.

We tried to call you a couple times while in Russia, but couldn't get through. It is a pity we didn't get to meet. Hopefully we'll plan better next time -- and have more time to plan with.

By all means, please send my your "Vodka in the Sun" comments! Although it was already published twice, one day I may make it a chapter in a larger book about my travels in Russia, in which case I can make changes.

I hope the Goodman Family NEwsletter didn't put the family to sleep before 2007 arrived.

Best wishes for a bright new year!

Eric

January 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home