Writeful

a weblog for readers and writers

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Making a Book out of Wrecks and Ruins

 


What, exactly, inspired my forthcoming novel, Wrecks and Ruins? Well, a few things.

This book was actually the joining together of two separate inspirations. I keep a file of ideas and concepts for future books and stories. One of those ideas was that of a husband and wife deciding to divorce and making it a celebration—still good friends, but letting one another go. In their new searches for new mates, they came to understand that what they were looking for was one another.

It was 2018, and I was entering a contest to write a novel in three days. I wanted something that didn’t require a lot of intricate plotting, like my last novel, The Color of Jadeite. This relationship-steeped story seemed like a good choice.

As I began to think of character development, it occurred to me that the characters from a story I had written years before, “Cicadas,” would perfectly fit the roles for the characters in this book. And I realized that Brood X would be back in a few years, making it a perfect “check-in” time. So the idea of a sequel, of sorts, for “Cicadas” meshed with the concept I had originally envisioned as more of a comedy under the working title of “Divorce Courting.” Wrecks and Ruins evolved into something different.

The best way to learn more about Wrecks and Ruins is to read or listen to the original story, “Cicadas.” You can hear or read an abridged version on WYPR or Syndic Literary Journal at the following links.


https://www.wypr.org/show/the-signal/2015-04-23/the-altar-of-innocence-baltimore-mandolin-orchestra-and-fiction-from-eric-d-goodman


https://www.syndicjournal.us/cover-syndic-no-14/story-leaving-by-eric-d-goodman/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home