Writeful

a weblog for readers and writers

Monday, December 06, 2021

Begin at the End

Was it Stephen Covey who first said "Begin with the end in mind?" Well, he said it, but surely this advice comes from long before Covey's repackaging. And it’ll certainly it'll be repackaged again and again. Here’s novelist John Irving’s spin.

Irving says he never begins writing a novel until he has decided on the end.

"I always start with the last sentence," Irving says. "I know exactly where I'm going. I have a far more fixed sense of the ending than the beginning. In the five, six, seven years it takes me to write a book, I always know the ending first and don't start writing until I know the last sentence. You need to know the ending to understand the tone and language to use. You need to know how to set everything up to get to where you're going."

Learn more about John Irving and his work at www.john-irving.com/  


 

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger PT Dilloway said...

I saw on his Facebook page recently that his latest "long novel" will be his last and that he's just going to focus on shorter works now. It's the end of an era!

December 07, 2021  

Post a Comment

<< Home