Writeful

a weblog for readers and writers

Monday, October 02, 2023

Fostering a Love of Literature

 C:\Users\bruse\Downloads\Writeful.blogspot.com (13).png

A subject that often comes up when I'm talking with other book lovers is the sad fact that, although there are more writers and more books being published these days, there are fewer readers who read for pleasure.


I once attended a lecture put together by the National Endowment for the Arts all about reading in decline in America.


These days, books don't just compete with one another – they  must compete with streaming content, television, movies, video games, the Internet, social media, smartphones, and every other form of entertainment available.  With today's short attention spans and "quick scan" reading habits, fewer and fewer people take the time to  settle down with a good book.


That's why it's important to share the love of literature with your children.


When my children were younger, I tried to read to them every night.  With my younger  son, we focused on basic classics: Dr. Seuss, Eric Carl, Shel Silverstein, and a bit of Bob the Builder.  I did most of the actual reading.


With my older daughter, we took turns reading.  One night, she'd read to me.  The next, I'd read to her.  We usually had two books going at a time.  Books like Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Aurthur's Court and The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery.


Would they rather be playing with her friends, scrolling social media, or watching a Disney or superhero movie? Sometimes. But there's no denying they enjoyed reading and to be read to.  It was a before-bedtime ritual I hope they’ll always remember.


Do you read to your kids?  It's a great way to spend quality time together.  It's also a wonderful way to foster a love for literature.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home