Writeful

a weblog for readers and writers

Thursday, December 22, 2016

Visiting Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future


Hard to believe, but ten years ago we were headed to Russia to spend Christmas Day in Red Square. We spend two weeks in Russia, including Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Nizhniy Novgorod. Here's an excerpt from this blog ten years ago:

I'm off to Russia this weekend and will be in Moscow for Christmas. I'll spend Christmas Day with my family in Red Square. It may seem somewhat sacrilegious to spend the holiday at the Kremlin, or to visit Lenin instead of Santa. But remember that beautiful St. Basil's Cathedral is there, too!

During my two weeks in Russia, I intend to do some research for a new novel. And I'll gather information and experience for a travel story to follow up on my last one. I plan to call it Vodka in the Snow: Russian Winter.

That novel is still in my "idea file," and the travel story remains a folder of notes. But I suspect both will see the light of day in the future.

Here's to embracing the future, remembering the past, and focusing on the present.


Happy holidays, and here's to a serene 2017.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home