Writeful

a weblog for readers and writers

Friday, June 04, 2010

Burnout May Be Just What Your Writing Needs

John Sandford was a Pulitzer-prize winning reporter before becoming a bestselling novelist. He wrote as a police reporter for the St. Paul Pioneer. But newspaper writing was burning him out.

“I wrote my first novel after being burnt out from the newspaper business. I knew I was burnt out when I started trying to duck out of big assignments. Big news events became boring. I had to get out, so I turned to fiction.”

It wasn’t an easy start. “I wrote a couple books that didn’t sell.” But then he hit it big with the creation of his recurring character, Lucas Davenport. “He’s a cross between a movie star and a cop.” A winning combination.

So if you’ve been feeling a little bit of burnout, perhaps that’s just what you need to jumpstart your writing.

To learn more about John Sanford’s books, visit his website.

www.johnsandford.org

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home