Writeful

a weblog for readers and writers

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Where in the World is Eric D. Goodman?

This year, we’ve beat Matt Lauer to the punch with our most recent installment of Where in the World!

I’m just back from a lovely week in London, and my illustrator (wife) and I took copies of our book, Flightless Goose, along for the ride. That’s right — the Goose has gone global!

Hocking the book to international audiences was fun, but more exciting were some of the amazing sights London: The overwhelming British Museum, the beautiful National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery. We enjoyed the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace and took a look at the Queen’s Gallery. The Victoria and Albert Museum was amazing.

We toured Windsor Castle, Apsley House, the Wallace Collection, Sir John Soan House, Kensignton Palace and even took high tea at The Orangery on the Kensington grounds.

Of course we saw Big Ben and Parliament, Westminster Abby and St. Paul’s Cathedral, Wellington Arch, the Jewel Tower, and spent several hours with the Beefeaters in Tower of London.

And how could a writer not visit the British Library with handwritten notes and manuscripts of Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, Jane Austin, Handle, Beethoven, and even The Beatles? Not to mention 221 Baker Street.

We enjoyed a ride through the Cotswolds, dined in an old pub in Andover, saw the giant chalk horse in the mountains, and strolled around Stonehenge.

Of all these marvels, some of the most enjoyable times were those spent on streets with locals, relaxing on leather couches in English pubs, and cruising along the Thames as the sights passed us by.

It has all passed by, but the memories of London will linger. Perhaps long enough to form a travel story …

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Goodman,

For claiming to be a professional, it perturbs me to see that you do not take great care in English usage in your blog posts. In this one post alone, there are various misspellings and there is also incorrect word usage (or did you really mean to say that you pawned the book to international audiences?).

Tsk tsk.

March 27, 2009  
Anonymous Eric said...

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. It troubles me to learn that you've been perturbed.

I'm not certian what your criteria is for "professional" as I don't know who you are, but I do make a comfortable living off my work as a full-time writer and editor.

Although I do take great care in my use of the English language, blogs tend to be more spontaneous -- sometimes delivered quickly, on the road, off the cuff, under pressure, without the comfort of the home computer or laptop. When I'm in a hurry to get a blog posted, mistakes can happen.

Unintended word use, however, is uncommon.

Yes, I did mean to say "hocking." That's common usage when referring to the duty of selling your books.

Gotta go --I think I hear something leaking ...

March 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home